In the context of the Phase 2 re-opening at HMS, the Facility is resuming its operations, but with limited bandwidth. Services are currently limited to Quad-based HMS labs, with timing adjusted to current capabilities and lab shift operations. We apologize for this situation and hope we can expand operations soon.
The LSR-II and Symphony instruments are available for analysis, for HMS investigators previously approved to use these instruments. When booking, please indicate your lab and Department. Please book here
The Aria 594 is available for self-sorting for previously trained and certified HMS users. Please book here
Operator-assisted sorting (MoFlo Astrios and Aria 561) is available Monday-Thursday and every other Saturday*. Please book here
*For Saturday operator-assisted sorting, please ALSO contact Daniela at the address below at the time of booking.
For all questions and Saturday sorting, contact Daniela_IschiuGutierrez@hms.harvard.edu.
Thank you for your understanding!
The Department of Immunology’s Flow Cytometry Facility provides flow cytometric analysis and cell sorting services to HMS investigators. It also hopes to soon welcome back users from affiliated institutions as well as commercial/biotech labs. The Facility is operationally connected to the Flow Cytometry Core at the Joslin Diabetes Center.
We are pleased to announce that we have expanded our analysis capabilities with the addition of a BD FACSymphony A5 28 color analyzer.
The Symphony is the newest generation BD instrument on the market offering many exciting possibilities. 5 lasers and 30 detectors mean more information can be collected per cell. Maximizing data collected on rare samples and allowing for deep phenotyping. All new low-noise electronics results in higher resolution for dim populations compared to LSR or Fortessa. Highly expandable and customizable in the future with room for 10 lasers and 52 detectors.
The facility currently operates:
(1) LSR-II analyzer (3-laser, 12-detector) with a high throughput sampler for multiparameter flow analysis
(2) FACS-Symphony (5 laser, 30 detector) with a high throughput sampler for high parameter analysis
(3) 2 FACSAria cell sorters for high-speed cell sorting, equipped with 4 and 5 laser systems for sorting in tubes or plates, and 4-way sorting
(4) MoFlo Astrios EQ cell sorter for high-speed cell sorting, equipped with 6 lasers (405, 488, 532, 561, 592, and 640nm) and 28 detectors is housed in a biosafety cabinet and is capable of 6-way sorting
(5) FACSCanto (2-laser, 8-detector) with a 40 tube carousel loader for multiparameter flow analysis
COMING SOON: Cytek Aurora Spectral Cytometer
Facility staff advise and train investigators in the applications of flow cytometry, use of the instruments, and help with study design and choice of fluorochrome combinations. Sorting is primarily staff run with the possibility of “self-operation” (for highly trained and experienced users). The analyzers are operated directly by the investigators, after training and certification by facility staff.